What to Do After an Out-of-State Car Accident

States treat collisions differently based on their laws. Therefore, whether you are visiting Toledo are from here, it is critical to understand how to handle a collision. An experienced car accident lawyer can help individuals and their families decide what to do after an out-of-state car accident. They can help you pursue damages for your injuries and speak with your insurance company on your behalf.

Jurisdiction Over the Accident

When determining what to do after an out-of-state car accident, potential clients can lean on the legal advice of their lawyers. Being involved in a car accident is frightening enough, but if the accident occurred outside of Toledo, there is the added complication of understanding how to proceed from there. Whether someone has suffered injuries from the accident or had another driver’s car damaged, they may want a lawyer to handle the legal issues while focusing on recovery.

With an out-of-state car accident, a driver will first need to understand which state has jurisdiction over the case. A lawyer can help explain which state’s law applies, whether it would be Ohio law, the law of the state the other driver lives in, or the law of the state the accident happened in.

It may be easier to sue in the state where the other person lives as it will be easier to establish jurisdiction. However, that will mean that one will need to travel to that state to finish up the lawsuit. It may be better to establish jurisdiction in Ohio so that a driver can go forward with the lawsuit where they live. For this, a driver’s lawyer will need to show that the other side has a minimal level of contact with Ohio.

Options in Moving Forward

Drivers are not limited to just a lawsuit after being involved in an out-of-state car accident. For one, a lawyer can speak to the other party or their insurance and reach a settlement. This will help avoid a potentially long and expensive court battle. People can find peace of mind moving forward with an attorney who knows what to do after an out-of-state car accident.

If the other side does refuse to negotiate then a person can move forward with a court proceeding. Generally, a person’s lawyer will need to show that the other driver was negligent in their driving and that caused the injuries.

Hiring Legal Representation

Every driver owes other drivers, pedestrians, and anyone else on the road a duty to drive as a reasonable person would act under similar circumstances. If the other driver does not act reasonably, then they have broken that duty. Then if those actions were the cause of injuries, they have acted negligently towards you.

Your lawyer can help you understand what you need to do after an out-of-state car accident so that you can move forward with your life. While you are recovering financially and physically, your lawyer can help recover your losses by either negotiating or fighting in court on your behalf.


    Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC