Medical Treatment in Findlay Workers’ Compensation Claims

Medical treatment should be taken care of in Findlay workers’ compensation claims. Unfortunately, the process of applying for benefits can be complicated, and sometimes claims are denied.

If you need help with your workers’ compensation case, speak with an experienced attorney today. They could serve as your advocate in negotiations and fight for the benefits you deserve.

What is a Medical Only Claim?

A medical only claim is where an injured worker is not asking the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation to award any lost wages or temporary total compensation. The worker is only asking that the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation pays for medical treatment for allowed conditions related to their work injury.

Denied Claims and Allowed Conditions

In Ohio, employers usually have either self-funded or state-funded workers’ compensation insurance. There is not really an insurance company under Ohio law. The representative of the employer can try to fight treatment, fight the claims, and do independent medical exams to limit the treatment the injured person receives. Oftentimes, the purpose of a workers’ compensation hearing, which is a contested argument before a hearing officer, is about whether specific treatment of the medical condition should be allowed.

An injured worker may only get medical treatment for claims and for medical conditions that are allowed in their claim. For example, a person may have a torn meniscus in their knee. Until the condition is allowed in the claim, however, they may not receive treatment that the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation will pay for.

Motions for a Second Opinion

When a person believes the treatment is insufficient for their injuries, they can file motions for a second opinion. They can file a motion to add additional conditions in the claim. They can pay for independent medical exams on their own, and file to have hearings for additional conditions treatment and additional compensation.

Maximum Medical Improvement

Maximum medical improvement means the injured worker reached a plateau in the treatment. It does not mean they have recovered one hundred percent. Any additional treatment is maintenance treatment that will not make them any better.

One option for someone who reaches the maximum medical improvement and is unable to return to work is to apply for vocational rehabilitation to be retrained for a different job. Another option is to return to work at a less strenuous job. In that case, the person could file for working wage loss, which is the difference between their rate of pay in the more strenuous job and their new job. Another possibility is to file for non-working wage loss to be paid while they look for jobs during the time period when they reach maximum medical improvement.

Discuss your Treatment with a Findlay Workers’ Compensation Attorney

If you need help filing or appealing a workers’ compensation claim, reach out to an experienced attorney. Attorneys understand how to advocate for sufficient medical treatment in Findlay workers’ compensation claims, and they could put their expertise to work for you. Call today to schedule a consultation.


Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC