A car accident is almost always a scary, unnerving event. Often, the days and months following the accident can be extremely stressful, especially if you or a member of your family have been injured, or your property has been significantly damaged.
Fortunately, Findlay car accident lawyers are here to help you during this difficult time and ensure that you are financially compensated for any losses you have incurred. To get started on your accident claim consult with an experienced accident lawyer in Findlay today.
Role of a Findlay Car Accident Lawyer
There are two situations in which a Findlay driver injured in an accident may need the help of a car accident attorney.
- Assistance with insurance claims. In a perfect world, the at-fault driver’s car insurance company will quickly and efficiently cover all damages. Unfortunately, insurance companies often deny claims or refuse to pay the entire amount requested. Lawyers will communicate with the insurance company on clients’ behalf and advocate for the maximum payout.
- Legal action against the at-fault driver. Under Ohio Revised Code Section 4509.101, Ohio drivers are required to carry car insurance that covers at least $25,000 for injury/death of one person, $50,000 for injury/death of two or more people, and $25,000 for property damage in an accident. However, drivers sometimes fail to carry insurance at all or do not carry an adequate amount. If damages exceed the other driver’s policy limits, people will need to file a lawsuit to recover the excess amount from that driver. Attorneys will prepare the necessary documents to get the case started and litigate the suit in court, if necessary.
Having an experienced Findlay car accident attorney will surely make this process much smoother and less stressful while recovering both physically and emotionally from the accident.
Common damages a person injured in a car accident can recover are:
- Medical expenses. Medical expenses can add up very quickly, and health insurance will not cover every penny. Depending on the extent of the injuries, people may have to pay for emergency room fees, hospitalization or surgery. At the very least, they will likely have to pay deductibles and copays out of pocket, which can add up significantly if they need repeat medical care. Lawyers will work to ensure that clients are reimbursed for such out-of-pocket expenses, as well as those that exceed the insurance policy maximum.
- Car repairs. Vehicle repairs after a car accident can be quite costly. While car insurance may help cover some of the costs, people will likely have to pay a deductible, plus any amount over their policy limit. Accident victims also might have to pay for a rental car while their vehicle is being fixed. Attorneys will fight to get these costs reimbursed to their clients.
- Lost wages. If someone is unable to work due to a physical injury, or because they no longer can use their vehicle, they may experience lost wages. It could be that, given the employment situation, the person does not get paid if they do not work. Or, they could run out of paid sick and personal time after an extended leave. Attorneys know that lost wages can have a devastating impact on a client’s financial situation, and will help recover as much income as possible.
Talk to a Findlay Car Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a car accident, you should contact our Findlay car accident attorneys right away. Ohio has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury and property damage suits (see Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10), and other legal restriction may apply.
Our attorneys will discuss these matters further with you and will help get you on track to move forward with your life and put your accident in your rear view mirror.