Jury Awards $10 Million To Teenager In Motrin Lawsuit

Jury Awards $10 Million To Teenager In Motrin Lawsuit

At the age of three and a half years old Brianna Maya was given the over-the-counter version of Children’s Motrin. Days after she took the medicine she developed a fine rash on her body and a mild redness around her eyes. It eventually turned into a rare, painful and potentially fatal skin reaction that burned and blistered her body on both the inside and out. It blinded her in one eye and landed her in a burn unit in Galveston, Texas at Shriners Burn Hospital. Brianna was diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis Syndrome (TENS). These two diseases affect between one in a million and eight in a million. When her mother read the warning label on the Children’s Motrin it didn’t say anything about SJS or TENS, but on the prescription version there is a warning that this could happen. SJS causes blisters and breaks down the mucus membranes of the cornea, mouth, rectum, vagina and urethra. TENS is a more severe form; it affects a greater percentage of the skin and mucus membranes. Since 2000 she has had repeated eye surgeries, numerous eye and lung infections; she developed seizures when she was deprived from oxygen at the worst part of her illness last year. Her seizures are difficult to control because anti-seizure medicine can trigger SJS. She has lost 84% of her skin, is blinded, suffered from brain damage, and now only has 50% lung capacity.

If your child or a child you know had been injured, call our Toledo, Ohio child injury attorneys toll-free at 800.637.8170 for a free case evaluation or to request your free copy of Little Kids, Big Accidents: The Ultimate Guide to Child Injury Cases in Ohio.