April showers bring…car accidents.
Rainy and stormy conditions can make it difficult to see other cars on the road, road signs, and the roadway itself. Our law office wants to remind you to be safe when you’re driving in the rain, and to follow the below safety tips to ensure the safety of yourself and others on the roadway.
Six Safety Tips for Driving in the Rain:
- Reduce your speed – when it is raining, the water mixes with oils on the roadway causing the perfect conditions for dangerous skids. Driving at a slower speed will help to reduce your risk.
- Do not pump brakes – if you do happen to skid, know how to properly recover from it. Do not pump your brakes. Instead, apply firm, steady pressure to the brakes and steer in the direction of the skid.
- Keep distance between the car in front of you – we urge you to not only maintain the 3 second rule, but increase it in the wet weather. It takes three times as longer to brake on wet roads than on dry roads, making it imperative to not tailgate.
- Turn headlights on in rain – headlights will help you to see the roadway, and will help other drivers to see you. Turn running lights on so the drivers behind you can also see you better.
- Avoid Aquaplaning – aquaplaning occurs when water builds up in front of your tires faster than your car’s weight can push it out of the way. This causes your car to rise and slide on the layer of water and causes a serious danger. To avoid this, keep tires properly inflated, reduce speed on wet roads, and do your best to stay away from puddles. It helps if you drive in the tracks of the car in front of you. If you do happen to aquaplane, do not brake suddenly, but instead lightly pump your brakes.
- Stop if the rain is too heavy – if the water is coming down too heavy, stop your vehicle. It is best to stop at rest areas, but if the side of the road is your only option, be sure to pull off as far as possible and wait. Keep your headlights on and warning lights during this time.
By following these safety tips above, you may be able to prevent a serious accident. Always remember to drive defensive in weather conditions because it can save your life, and the lives of others.
If you have been involved in an accident during rainy conditions when another driver failed to drive with caution, contact our car accident attorneys at 800.637.8170. Our attorneys will review your case and help you to receive the damages that you deserve.