What To Do RIGHT After A Car Accident
Motor Trend Magazine recently released an article explaining the things that an individual should do right after being involved in a car accident.
Our car accident lawyers believe that the tips in the article, What Should You do When You’ve Been in an Accident? are very helpful to readers.
What to do after a car accident:
- Check for injuries – after a car accident, you should check for injuries. Check both yourself and those who are in our vehicle. If any serious injuries exist, contact 911 immediately for medical attention.
- Be safe – before you get out of your vehicle after the accident, make sure it is safe and that no hazards exist. If you are in a high-traffic area, Motor Trend recommends moving your vehicle out of the area. If you are in a high-traffic area but are unable to move out of the way, call the police so they can assist you before you exit your vehicle.
- Exchange information with other motorists involved – after you make sure that no one is seriously injured from the car accident, exchange information with the other motorist(s) involved in the accident. This information includes:
- Insurance information
- Phone numbers
- Make, model and license plate
- File a report – if the police are not on scene yet, call them or go to the closest police station. File a report of the accident and make sure that you get a copy of the report from the police officer, as well as the number of the accident report.
- Take photos – use your cell phone to take pictures of the scene of the accident. Document the damage that resulted from the car accident and pictures that can help when it comes to informing the insurance company of the accident and the resulting damages.
- Contact the insurance company – call your insurance agent to report the car accident and inform them of the damages that resulted from it. Your insurance agent can help you as you figure out which steps to take in getting your vehicle repaired if damages did occur.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney
After you follow the above steps, our office recommends contacting a car accident attorney. If you or one of your loved ones were injured in the accident, a car accident attorney can help you to follow the correct legal steps to ensure that you receive compensation for the injuries.
If you have legal questions about your car accident, feel free to call our law office at 800.637.8170. You will have the chance to speak with an attorney about your accident, receive advice on the steps to take, and you can even request a free copy of The Ohio Accident Book so you have the resources you need at your fingertips.