Tips For Storing Medications
- Do not leave any medicines in your purse, in an unlocked kitchen or bathroom cabinet, on a kitchen or bedside table
- Read all labels to find out what can be potentially poisonous. Keep those things separate from things you use on an everyday basis like toothpaste and soap
- Never leave any medicines or potentially poisonous household products alone while you are using them
- Do not leave loose pills lying around
- Buy child-resistant packages when you can and keep products in their original packages to avoid any confusion
- When giving medications to children you should:
- Always read the labels, follow the directions and give the medicines based on the children’s weights and ages. Only use the dispensers that are packaged with children’s medicine
- Avoid any confusion by keeping all medicines and any potentially poisonous household products in their original packaging
- Do not take any medicine or vitamins in front of kids, involve them as helpers with your medicine or call any medicines candy
If you believe your child has been poisoned, take the product to the phone and immediately call the toll-free nationwide poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If your child has collapsed or is not breathing immediately call 911. Poison control centers offer fast, free, and confidential help in English and Spanish.
Most poisonings can be resolved over the phone.
The toll-free number works anywhere in the United States and is open round the clock, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Follow the operator’s instructions and don’t force the child to throw up or give them anything unless you’re told to do so.