State Fund Employer And Workers’ Compensation

State Fund Employer And Workers’ Compensation

When a worker is injured on the job, one of the first questions to as is what type of employer they have. Ohio workers’ compensation claims are affected by the type of employer as there are different routes to take depending on it.

The two types of employers that come into play are state fund employers and self-insured employers. A state fund employer is the type that is a part of the state insurance fund. They pay an insurance premium to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation which is then put into the state fund. Of the employers in Ohio, two-thirds are either public or private employers and covered by the state fund.

Related: What is workers’ compensation?

Private Employers

Private employers include

  • Businesses
  • Sole proprietors
  • Partnerships
  • Corporations
  • Associations
  • Limited liability companies

Public Employers

Public employers include

  • County or state agency
  • A governing unit that provides service to the public

Workers’ Compensation Claims with State Fund Employer

If you have been injured while working and your employer is state funded, the workers’ compensation claim that you would make would be within the state fund. What this means for the injured worker is that they will not receive any type of compensation for their injuries unless they have an order from the Bureau.

Related: What is the statute of limitations for workers’ compensation?

The process of a workers’ compensation claim can be somewhat involved. There are various steps involved that can be confusing for an individual who has not been exposed to it prior.

Filing a Claim

The advice that our work injury lawyers have for anyone who has suffered an injury while on the job is to ensure that you are aware of all the steps required in making a claim. One way to make sure that you are taking all of the proper legal steps is to seek the guidance of a lawyer. They will then guide you through the process, help you to obtain all of the proper documents, and work towards helping you to receive the compensation that is deserved.

If you have questions about state fund employers and workers’ compensation claims, call our office at 800.637.8170.

Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC