OSU Football Player Charged After Shaking Child

Former Ohio State University football player, Kenneth “Kenny” Hayes, 22, has been indicted by a grand jury for allegedly shaking his girlfriend’s 5-year old son this past December, according to the Columbus Dispatch. Franklin County Prosecutors announced that while Hayes was caring for the child on December 16, 2014, he called 911. Paramedics arrived and rushed the child to Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Physicians determined that that the child’s injuries were consistent with symptoms of shaken baby syndrome.

Hayes was indicted on charges of felonious assault and child endangering.

Protecting a Child’s Legal Rights

Intentionally or negligently injuring a child is an injustice that needs corrected. While the prosecutors pursue criminal cases that focus on punishment, our firm handles civil cases that focus on holding that person financially accountable to the victim and his or her family. If you have a shaken baby case or if your child has been injured by the hands of a child care provider, there are very important steps that must be taken to preserve your child’s legal rights.

1. Seek immediate medical attention and comply with all of your child’s doctor’s orders.

2. Obtain any and all information surrounding the incident, including witness statements, surveillance footage, police and child services reports, and medical records.

3. Compile a list of all medical bills that have resulted from the shaking.

4. Speak with an attorney before signing any documents, including medical authorizations or settlement agreements.

Finding an attorney dedicated to helping kids

It is not only important to enlist the help of an attorney that deals exclusively with personal injuries, but also one who understands the delicate nature of cases involving children. When choosing an attorney make sure that he or she has experience handling child injury claims and has a strong track record of obtaining maximum compensation for costs associated with medical expenses and pain and suffering.

If you would like your questions answered during a free case evaluation, contact the child injury lawyers at Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC toll-free or by filling out the online form to the right.

Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC