Injured In A Car Accident While Attending An Ohio College Or University?

If an out-of-state college student is injured while living in Ohio, it can be confusing when trying to determine their rights. The first question they are confronted with is whether or not they are an Ohio resident.

Under Ohio law, a “resident” is any person that maintains a twelve-month place or places of residence in Ohio, is qualified to vote in Ohio, and pays taxes to the state of Ohio. This basically means that a person is an Ohio resident if he or she currently resides in the state and intends to remain in the state.

As many college students do not live in Ohio year round and may leave Ohio after graduation, a student is often considered to be a resident of their home state instead.

Seeking Compensation for Injuries

Regardless of a student’s residential status, they still have equal access to Ohio Courts in order to seek compensation any injuries suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence. The most important thing a student can do if found in this type of situation is to find an attorney that will work diligently on their behalf to hold those at fault accountable, allowing the maximum compensation to be secured for the injuries that were suffered.

If you are an out-of-state Ohio college student that has been injured in a car accident, call our Ohio car accident lawyers at 800.637.8170. We can help you through this confusing legal process and ensure that you will receive the damages that you deserve.

Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC