Accidents that happen when your child is not in your direct care can be scary. Even though, as parents, we must trust others to care for children, it is still impossible to control the actions of other people, especially on the roads.
No matter how safe your child’s bus driver is behind the wheel, other drivers put your kids at risk on a daily basis with speeding, texting and driving, and other forms of distracted driving.
Accidents do happen. And if and when they do, it is imperative to take the proper precautions to protect your child in every way possible.
If your child is injured in an Ohio bus accident, you must:
1. Take the child to the emergency room or urgent care immediately. Regardless if the child states that he or she feels OK, it is imperative to have a physician rule out any and all injuries, since bus accidents often cause the child to be thrown around in the bus.
2. Listen to the doctor and follow his advice. Maximum recovery depends on following the doctor’s orders. The doctor does not want the child going to school or participating in sports for a certain period of time, take his advice. If he orders your child to complete physical therapy, make sure you follow it through to completion.
3. Document everything. Take photos of the accident scene and your child’s injuries, gather witness statements and obtain crash reports. The more information you can provide to the at-fault party’s insurance company, the better.
4. Do not sign anything before first speaking with a lawyer. Do not ruin your chances of a substantial settlement for your child by signing whatever paperwork comes from the at-fault party’s insurance company. They will try to get you to settle for pennies to make you go away, so it is always a good idea to consult with a lawyer first.
5. Ask for a free copy of Little Kids, Big Accidents: The Ultimate Guide to Child Injury Accidents in Ohio. It was written by the attorneys in our office and will explain in-depth how to handle serious injury accidents involving children.
The Toledo child accident attorneys at Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC have over 30 years of experience helping families and children who have been injured in school bus accidents. Their consultations are always free and children are given top priority for appointments.
To schedule your complimentary case evaluation, call 800-637-8170 or 419-241-1395, fill out the online form to the right, or Live Chat with one of our representatives. Call or click today to protect your kids!