The causes of many motorcycle accidents can be attributed to the following:
- Lack of basic riding skills
- Failure to appreciate the inherent operating characteristics
- Failure to appreciate the limitations of the motorcycle
- Failure to use special precautions while riding
- Failure to use defensive driving techniques
- Lack of specific braking and cornering skills
- Failure to follow speed limits
A motorcycle should be selected for comfortable fit and functional requirements:
- Select a motorcycle that fits. A motorcyclist should be able to touch the ground with both feet when astride the vehicle.
- If you will be carrying a passenger, make sure the motorcycle you select has a passenger seat as well as foot rests (foot pegs) for the passenger
- Check the location of the controls. Make sure you can reach and operate them easily and with comfort.