Pool Safety: Children’s Drowning Deaths and Injuries
The leading cause of unintentional death for children between the ages of 1 and 4 is drowning. This statistic comes from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and may be very startling for parents of young children.
There is an average of 390 drowning deaths of children 0-14-years-old in pools and spas every year, with African-American children being six times more likely to drown than Caucasian children of the same age. This is a scary statistic and makes it even clearer that parents should pay special attention to water safety and accident prevention for their children.
Other drowning statistics include:
- 76% of deaths involve children under age 5
- 67% of deaths involve children between ages 1 and 3
- Deaths typically occur either the same day or within a week of the incident
- Of the deaths of children ages 0-14, 67% are male and 33% are female
- 73% of deaths of children under 14 occurred at a residence
- 88% of those victims were under the age of 5
- Of the deaths that occurred at residences
- 59% were in-ground pools
- 15% were above-ground pools
- 9% were portable pools
- There were 5,100 injuries between 2010 and 2012
- 48% at a residence
- 24% at a public pool or condo/apartment complex pool
- 29% at an undisclosed location
With the above statistics, it is more important than ever to take the steps to help save lives. Prevention is easy and should be practiced by all.
- Stay within arm’s reach at all times in and around the pool
- Assign and adult water watcher
- Fence your pool: Use a 4-foot or taller fence with self-closing or self-latching gates
- Swim lessons for all
- Install pool and gate alarms
- Learn CPR
If your child was injured in a pool accident due to unsafe conditions or a negligent water safety professional, call our Child Pool Accident attorneys at 800.63738170. Our team can help obtain the damages deserved for your child’s injuries.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Pool Safety: Children’s Drowning Deaths and Injuries"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."