Our Toledo, Ohio medical negligence lawyers handle all types of cases, including those involving birth injuries or defects and nursing home negligence.
Ohio Birth Injury Lawyer
One of the most common birth injuries is cerebral palsy and its variations. Erb's palsy and brachial plexus palsy. Cerebral palsy is defined as damage to the motor areas of the brain, usually occurring before, during or shortly after birth. Cerebral palsy may be acquired after the birth of a child. This results from damage to the brain in the first months or years of life. The injury may be a brain infection (bacterial meningitis, viral encephalitis) or other infant brain injury following an accident.
Ohio Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
Medical professionals are required to recognize changing conditions in the fetus and mother during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and immediately after birth. Failure to maintain an acceptable standard of treatment can result in a wide range of problems to the baby that can indicate cerebral palsy and other conditions, including:
- Poor feeding after birth
- Seizures that develop within 24 to 48 hours
- Poor muscle strength
- Blue or dusky skin at birth
- An infant who does not breathe at birth
- An infant who has problems maintaining temperature after birth
Cerebral palsy, Erb's palsy, and brachial plexus palsy are usually caused by a reduction in oxygen or hypoxia during birth. These conditions often arise because of:
- A failure to order specific tests during pregnancy; and not interpreting these tests correctly
- A failure to perform a cesarean section in the presence of fetal distress
- A failure to deliver the infant when the membranes have been ruptured for more than 24 hours
- A failure to monitor the fetus, or to respond to signs of fetal distress
- A failure to act quickly when the waters broke, there was unexpected bleeding, labor failed to progress, or maternal blood pressure rose suddenly
Other medical mistakes that take place before or during birth include administering too much Pitocin, failing to refer the mother to a specialist when problems arose during pregnancy, and neglecting to have a pediatrician present at delivery during a high-risk pregnancy, all of which can lead to cerebral palsy.
Ohio Shoulder Dystocia Lawyer
When excessive lateral traction is applied to the fetal neck region during delivery, shoulder dystocia can result. This can cause child's muscles to be torn, resulting in a limp arm. Improper use of forceps, turning the baby during its passage through the birth canal, and breach births are frequent causes of shoulder dystocia, and can usually be prevented. If your baby has been injured because of obstetrical malpractice before, during, or after birth, contact Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC to discuss your options.
Ohio Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
The Toledo, Ohio nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at our firm represent nursing home residents and their families in lawsuits against nursing homes and residential care facilities.
There are strict laws and regulations to protect the safety and welfare of these residents.
Unfortunately, nursing home patients do not always receive appropriate care and the results can be severe and are often deadly.
When an elderly person moves into a nursing home, the family places a tremendous amount of trust in the facility and its staff. If the patient is injured or dies due to improper treatment and neglect, that person or his or her family should explore taking action against the facility. Causes of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
There are many different causes of nursing home abuse and neglect. These include:
• Failure to turn or move immobile patients
• Failure to bathe patients
• Failure to supervise patients in baths and showers
• Failure to monitor nutrition and hydration/malnutrition
• Failure to use bed rails
• Verbal abuse of residents
• Failure to supervise patients
• Failure to train staff properly
• Patients wandering away from the facility
• Reduced staff-patient ratios
Symptoms of Abuse or Neglect
The Toledo, Ohio nursing home neglect attorneys at Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC, recommend that families be alert to these signs of nursing home abuse:
• Pressure sores and bed sores
• Infections, including gangrene
• Unexplained falls resulting in broken bones
• Medication error
• Fractures (frequently hips)
• Decubitus Ulcers
• Withdrawal or failure to speak
• Unusual fears
• Residents wandering away from the facility
Do I have a birth injury or nursing home negigence case?
We represent Ohio personal injury clients from Toledo, Maumee, Delta, Port Clinton, Bowling Green, McClure, Napoleon, Helena, Fremont, Fostoria, Tiffin, Cygnet, North Baltimore, Ottawa, Findlay, Carey, Bryan, Sandusky, Swanton, Perrysburg, Grand Rapids, Waterville, Liberty Center, Portage, West Millgrove, Woodville, Genoa, Gibsonburg, Findlay, Risingsun, Deshler, Hamler, Oregon, Sylvania, Delta, Weston, Oak Harbor, Port Clinton, Clyde, Lorain, Ottawa Hills, Rossford, Millbury, Walbridge, Holland, Northwood, and Whitehouse. We also serve those who live in Lucas, Wood, Seneca, Lorain, Fulton, Erie, Hancock, and Sandusky Counties.