Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that is produced when you burn any type of fuel, like gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood, or charcoal. Carbon Monoxide is known as the silent killer, it decreases the amount of oxygen present in a person's body. Children are more susceptible to the effects of CO poisoning because of their small bodies and show signs different than adults.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:


  • Headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and confusion are the most common symptoms
  • The person can lose consciousness or die in severe cases
  • The flu can be one of the other illnesses that CO poisoning can be mistaken for
  • Frequently with CO poisoning more than one person in the house will have the same symptoms at the same time
  • To decrease the risk of CO poisoning you should:
  • Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level in your home
  • Place a CO alarm at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance
  • Test the alarms every month and replace the alarms every 5 years
  • Make sure the alarms can be heard when you are testing them and also practice an escape plan with your family
  • Get all of your gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician, every year to make sure they are working correctly and are properly ventilated
  • Never use the stove for heating a room
  • Do not use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your house, garage or near a window
  • Never leave any motor vehicle engine running inside of your garage, even if your garage door is open
  • Install a CO alarm on your motorboat because it can build up anywhere in or around your boat
  • If your CO alarm goes off follow these steps:
  • Get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible and out into the fresh air. Then once outside your house use a neighbors phone or your cell phone and call for help
  • If someone is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning call 911 for immediate medical attention
  • If nobody is experiencing any symptoms you should just call the fire department and they will then let you know when it is safe for your family to go back inside

If you or someone you know has been poisoned, call our Toledo, Ohio poison injury attorneys at toll free 800.637.8170 for a free case evaluation or to request your FREE copy of Little kids, Big accidents: The Ultimate Guide to Child Injury Cases in Ohio.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment