What To Do When You Are In a Car Accident
If you’ve ever been involved in a car crash, you know those moments right after the incident are a blur. It can be hard to remember exactly what to do to best protect yourself legally. If you need us, we are ready to take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (419) 241-1395.
Here are our top five key steps to take after an accident:
- Stop immediately! If it is safe to do so, move your vehicle out of traffic to the side of the road.
- Turn off the ignition and warn other drivers by turning on your hazard lights. Do not smoke!
- Call 911.
- Collect driver and witness information, accident details, damage to cars, photos, insurance information, and any other pertinent information. Do not talk with any insurance adjuster about your case until you speak with a lawyer.*
- Seek medical attention and call an attorney as soon as possible.
*If you are injured, have a friend or loved one collect as much information as possible.
Just as importantly, here are seven things to NOT do after a crash:
- Admit fault
- Discuss your insurance policy
- Argue or discuss the cause of the accident
- Accept roadside settlements (there may be hidden damage to you or your vehicle)
- Give emergency medical assistance unless you are trained to do so
- Assume people are not injured because they seem to be ok
- Move a victim unless they are in danger
When in Doubt, Give us a Call
Major life events like car accidents rarely happen during business hours. Often, the longer you wait after a crash, the harder it is to make a claim. We are ready to take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (419) 241-1395. Our experienced attorneys and legal staff will listen to you and will guide you to the best resolution for you and your loved ones.
You owe it to yourself and to your loved ones to have a knowledgeable and experienced car accident attorney at your side to guide you through the legal process. At the Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC, we know the law, and we will do everything in our power to make sure that your rights are protected throughout the entire claims process.
Beware of Speaking With Insurance Adjusters
It is important to not speak with an insurance adjuster after an auto accident without first speaking with an auto accident lawyer. Insurance adjusters may seem friendly and eager to help, but they are often not looking out for your best interests. You may not even realize that what you are telling the adjuster is bad for your claim.
That is why it is so important to get a lawyer involved immediately following the accident and before speaking with anyone. Insurance adjusters will oftentimes record your statements to use against you later if a lawsuit is filed.
Order Your Free Book For Auto Accidents Victims in Ohio
Our book was written by our own Ohio auto accident lawyers Charles Boyk, Michael Bruno, and Nicholas Dodosh. “The Ohio Accident Book” will answer all of your questions, in layman’s terms, about your legal rights against the negligent driver. Best of all, we’ll send it to you for FREE!
Our No Fee Promise For Auto Accidents in Ohio
We will represent you in your Ohio car accident case under our NO FEE PROMISE. What this means is that we will not charge any attorney fees whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement or recovery for you first. You have no obligation for attorney fees unless we win your case for you. If we do not obtain a settlement for you, you owe us nothing!