Copyright © 2020 Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduced with Permission.
Two toddlers passed away in two separate drowning incidents within one week of each other, according to the Toledo Blade, leaving a community mourning and the topic of swimming pool safety to light as the summer begins.
On May 7th in Sylvania, a 2-year-old Temperance, Michigan boy was visiting his grandparents when he left the home, found his way through a fence with a malfunctioning latch, and fell into their in-ground swimming pool. He passed away after being taken to Toledo Hospital.
On May 10th, in Defiance, another 2-year-old lost her life after drowning in the resident’s swimming pool. She was transported to Defiance Regional Medical Center where she passed away.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
– From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings each year, unrelated to boating.
– Average of 10 drowning deaths per day
– 1 in 5 people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger
– More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency rooms need further hospitalization due to the severe brain damage drowning causes
– Traumatic brain injuries from drowning often result in memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning
Swimming resources are available in our area through The Josh Project, a non-profit organization started in 2007 by Wanda Butts that provides affordable swimming lessons and water safety education to children and their families to prevent drowning. Wanda started the organization after her 16-year-old son, Josh, drowned at a lake in 2006. Named a CNN Hero in 2012, the Butts family has helped thousands of families in Ohio through The Josh Project and more information can be found on their website, www.joshproject.org.
For loved ones struggling with questions after an accidental drowning, the attorneys at Boyk Law are available for confidential consultations by calling 419-241-1395 or by contacting us through our website.
Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC