Distracted driving is a major issue on today’s roadways and a lot of teenage drivers are guilty of this dangerous habit. Teenage drivers do not have a lot of experience behind the wheel, and to make matters worse, many drive distracted on top of that.Texting and driving is one of the major forms of distracted driving, and teens surveyed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have admitted to not only being guilty of this, but to knowing it’s dangerous but still doing it.
Statistics on Teen Distracted Driving
- Of the fatal accidents involving young drivers under the age of twenty, 16% have admitted that distracted driving played a role
- 86% of teens under the age of nineteen admit to driving distracted
- 84% of teens know that distracted driving is dangerous, but they still do it anyways
- 32% of teens think that that nothing bad will happen to them when they drive distracted
- Over 1/3rd of teens admit to almost being in an accident due to distracted driving
The above answers that young drivers gave in regards to distracted driving are very concerning. Parents must stress the importance of safe driving to their teenage drivers, and set a good example themselves when they are behind the wheel.
If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident in which a teenage driver was driving distracted, call our Oregon car accident attorneys at 800.637.8170. Our legal team has experience dealing with cases of this matter and can help you to reach a favorable settlement.