What Employers Need To Know About Workers Compensation Part One

Part One

Do I really need to have a workers’ compensation policy?

  • Yes, if you have any employees you have to have an active workers’ compensation policy, it covers those employees that have a workplace injury

If I own my own business do I still need to have a workers compensation policy?

  • If you are the only one who owns the business, are a partner in a partnership or incorporated as a corporation and have no employees, then you can decide whether or not you want to have a workers compensation policy

What are the pros and cons of being the only owner of a business, a partner, or individuals incorporated as a corporation and have no employees or any family farm corporate officers choosing to get coverage for themselves?

  • The pro is that you can report a work injury against your policy and upon BWC approval of the claim, medical bills and lost time wages can be paid. The con then being that you must report your wages to BWC and pay the correct premiums on your net income

How do I apply for workers compensation coverage?

  • You fill out a U-3 form and then turn it into the BWC. There is a $10 deposit is required

Part Two

What benefits does workers compensation coverage offer?
After the BWC approves the claim for a work injury, the policy then covers the payment of medical bills, compensation for lost wages, permanent disability, and settlements. There are many different kinds of compensation benefits available they include the following:

  • Temporary Total Compensation (TT)
  • Scheduled Loss (SL)
  • Percentage of Permanent Partial Award (%PP)
  • Permanent Total Disability (PTD)
  • Disabled Workers’ Relief Benefits (DWRF)
  • Change of Occupation (COA)
  • Facial Disfigurement Award (FD)
  • Wage Loss (WL)
  • Working Wage Loss (WWL)
  • Non-Working Wage Loss (NWWL
  • Living Maintenance Wage Loss (LMWL)
  • Living Maintenance (LM)
  • Violation of Specific Safety Requirement (VSSR)
  • Lump Sum Advancement (LSA)
  • Death Claims
  • The First Report Of Injury (FROI)
  • The Industrial Commission form Application for Additional Award for Fatal Injury
  • By letter if the death is a result of an existing claim
  • The new Additional Information for Death Benefits (C-5) or the OD-2 forms may also be used for additional information;
  • Death benefits may also be applied for by calling 1-800-OHIOBWC, or the local customer service office
  • A managed care organization (MCO) can also report the death due to injury or disease by filing the claim via External Data Interchange (EDI)

If you or someone you know has been hurt while on the job in Ohio, call our Toledo, OH workers compensation claim attorneys at toll-free 800.637.8170 for a free case evaluation or to request your FREE copy of The Ohio Work Injury Book.

Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC