Tractor Safety Can Prevent Death Of Farm Workers
A man has died in a tractor accident on an Ohio farm.
The northeast Ohio man, Santos Medina de Jesus, was working on a farm over the weekend when his tractor appeared to have turned over in a lagoon. The Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Office says that the man drowned in the lagoon on a dairy farm after being pinned under his overturned tractor.
It has been reported by the Ashtabula Star Beacon that the tractor was found in the 4 feet deep lagoon. The body of the farm worker was found when a firefighter entered the lagoon.
The report allegedly says that de Jesus’ duty was to remove manure from a barn and push it into the lagoon.
Our thoughts go out to the de Jesus family as they mourn the loss of their loved one.
Tractor Safety: Are You Safe?
There have been studies that show that a high proportion of farm fatalities and severe injuries are caused by farm tractors. There are safety management principles that should be implemented and followed on all farms to prevent tragic accidents.
Below you will find the safety tips provided by the National Safety Council.
- Follow safe work practices at all times
- Tractor operators should be physically and mentally fit
- Read the operator’s manual and warning decals
- Equip the tractor with a Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) and wear seat belts
- The tractor should be inspected for any hazards before operation
- All tractor operators should have received training to operate it safely
- Before dismounting from tractor, the equipment should be shut down, engine turned off, key removed, moving parts should stop
- Bystanders should be kept away from the operation area. There should be no “extra riders,” especially children
Farm Tractor Safety
If you own, manage, or work on a farm, it is imperative to follow these safety tips for tractor safety. By following the proper protocol, injuries and fatalities can be prevented.
If you or your loved one has been injured on a farm due a tractor accident in which equipment safety was not up kept, we recommend that you contact a lawyer. You can call our office to review the accident that caused your injuries and receive a free case evaluation. Our lawyers will answer any questions that you may have and ensure that you are fully aware of your legal options.