Tips To Help Prevent Drinking And Driving
With the July 4th holiday just days away, many will enjoy time spent at parties or on the lake with friends and family. With many celebrations involving alcoholic beverages, it is imperative for those that drink to either have a designated driver or know when they must stop to be sober for their travels.
If a friend or family member enjoys a few too many drinks and you are aware that they still plan on driving themselves, you can step in and prevent them from doing so. Drunk driving is the cause of many accidents that result in serious injuries and fatalities. If you can prevent just one accident from occurring, you may help to save a life.
- If the individual who is under the influence is a close friend or family member, approach them in a calm manner. Suggest that they should catch a ride with a friend, or maybe call a cab.
- Remain calm and try to lighten up the situation.
- Make your suggestion sound as though you are doing them a favor.
- If the individual is a close friend or significant other, tell them that if they are going to drive, you are not going to go with them.
- Find the person’s keys and take them away. They may think that they misplaced them and will be forced to find another way home.
- Do your best to avoid embarrassing the person.
Drunk driving is preventable and if you are in a situation in which you know that drunk driving is likely to occur, do your best to stop it. This will not only keep the driver safe but also any other people on the roadway.
If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident due to another person’s negligence and have been injured, call our Ohio car accident lawyers.