Running Safety Tips For Spring And Summer
Since the weather is warming up, more and more runners are taking to the roads. We wanted to share some of the Road Runners Club of America running safety tips for runners in the area.
- Don’t wear headphones – when running on the side of the road, it is best to not wear headphones. If you do wear them, keep the volume low to allow you to hear vehicles and other runners or bikers on the roadway.
- Run against traffic – running against traffic will allow you to see the approaching vehicles, allowing you to react quicker than if it is behind you.
- Look both ways before crossing – Obey traffic signals and make sure that drivers acknowledge you have the right-of-way before crossing.
- Carry a card with your identification and contact info – slip a card with your contact info into your shoe or your armband for your iPod or iPhone. In the event of an accident, officials will be able to contact your family.
- Carry your phone with you – many use their phone as their music source when running. This will help you if you are in danger or simply cannot continue on your run.
- Wear reflective material if running early morning or at night – reflective material will help drivers of vehicles to see you. If running early morning or at dusk, you must take precaution.
Attorney Charles Boyk wants area runners to enjoy the trails and roadways, but he also explained his concern for their safety. “Runners must take precautions if they are running on the side of the road. While we want drivers to be aware, runners have to play their role, too. Wear reflective material and be aware of your surroundings. If both drivers and runners are smart, we should reduce the risk for accidents.”