- Each year approximately 6,500 people die from drowning in the United States and an estimated 140,000 persons drown worldwide.
- Based on past record, about 75% of all drowning fatalities are males
- Drowning is the second leading cause of injury related death for children between 0 and 14 years of age
- For each of the 1,000 children that drown, four are hospitalized for near drowning (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- one out of the four near drowning cases suffer severe, permanent neurological disability (Foundation for Aquatic Injury Prevention)
- For children ages 1 to 4 years, 80% of drownings occur in backyard swimming pools or spas.
Copyright © 2022 Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduced with Permission.