Carrying a Passenger on Your Motorcycle; here are some things to remember while riding on a motorcycle with a passenger.
- Make sure the motorcycle is designed to carry a passenger.
- If you decide to carry a child, make sure the child is mature enough to handle the responsibilities, can reach the footrests, wears a helmet and other protective gear, and holds onto you or the passenger hand-holds.
- Keep in mind that some states have minimum age requirements for motorcycle passengers.
- Instruct your passenger to keep his or her legs away from the muffler to avoid burns.
- Instruct your passenger to limit movement and talking.
- Remember that the extra weight from carrying a passenger can affect braking procedures, starting from a stop, and riding through a corner.
- Exercise caution in quick stops, as a passenger can move forward and bump your helmet with theirs.
- Passing will require more time and space.
- The effects of the wind will be more distinct.
- Review the motorcycle owner’s manual for tips on preparing for riding with a passenger.
- Do not exceed the weight limitations specified in the manual.
- Before riding, practice low-speed clutch/throttle control and normal and emergency braking in an open area, like a parking lot, with a passenger.
- Allow the passenger time to adjust to the speed of riding and the feeling of leaning.
- Make sure the passenger keeps all hands and feet away from hot or moving parts.
- When in a corner, the passenger should look over the operator’s shoulder in the direction of the corner.
- The passenger should not make any sudden movements or turns.
- When crossing an obstacle, the passenger should stand on the motorcycle pegs with knees slightly bent, allowing the legs to absorb the shock upon impact.
- The motorcycle should be started before the passenger mounts.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, call our Ohio motorcycle accident attorneys at 800.637.8170 for a free case evaluation or to request your free copy of The Ohio Motorcycle Accident Book.