Wal-Mart has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide after the death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett who was given the formula and became sick with a rare bacterial infection and died.
No government recall had been ordered for the cans of Enfamil Newborn powder and records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped. Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said the company decided to pull the lot just to be safe.
Health officials are still investigating The product could go back on shelves depending on the outcome of the investigation, but customers who bought the cans have the option of returning them for a refund or exchange.
Samples of the formula given to Avery were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for testing.
Investigators have not determined whether the illness is linked to the formula or an outside source.
Avery was taken to St. John’s Hospital-Lebanon after looking tired and showing signs of a stomach ache. He was transferred St. John’s Hospital-Springfield, and preliminary tests showed that he had contracted a rare bacterial infection.
He died Sunday after being removed from life support.
If you or someone you know has a child who has been injured in an accident you need information. Contact our Ohio child accident lawyers at toll free 800.637.8170 to request your FREE copy of Little Kids, Big Accidents: The Ultimate Guide to Child Injury Cases in Ohio and to receive a free case evaluation.