Is My Child At Risk? Button Batteries Pose Serious Threat

Is My Child At Risk? Button Batteries Pose Serious Threat

We live in a world where we are using many more electronic products in our households every day. With these numbers increasing, so is the number of batteries being used.

Button batteries are the shiny batteries about the size of a dime that are used in remote controls, watches, musical greeting cards and toys. They are the perfect size for a child to swallow or to push into their nose or ear.

Between 2007 and 2009 more than 3,400 button battery ingestion cases were reported annually. This can be a problem for doctors because children who have swallowed button batteries may not show any symptoms or they may have very non-specific symptoms like irritability, fever, cough, poor oral intake, vomiting or symptoms that are common to a viral infection for example.

Smaller batteries like those found in hearing aids will usually pass through your system on their own, but larger batteries can get caught, causing much more significant injury and damage. These injuries to children can be quite serious, including eroding through the esophageal wall or airway, causing damage to nerves or eroding into a major blood vessel.

The attorneys at The Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC want to make everyone is aware of these possible dangers to your kids. The last thing we want to see is a child hurt or even die from ingesting a button battery.

If your child has been injured in an accident, you need help. Call our Toledo, Ohio child accident attorneys today at toll-free 800.637.8170. Our Toledo area personal injury attorneys are experienced and will work with you to get you the settlement you deserve. We provide clients with personal cell phone numbers and the attorneys are available after normal business hours and on weekends.

Charles E. Boyk Law Offices, LLC