On Sunday, September 4, 2022, a multi-vehicle car accident occurred on I-75 southbound in Lima near the State Route 309 exit leaving 21 people injured and one person dead. Out of the injured, 10 individuals were taken to the hospital for further treatment and 11 others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, a semi-truck, driven by Dale K. Anglin, 75, of Vermillion, was traveling south on I-75 when he approached and collided with several slowed vehicles. Traffic had slowed due to an earlier crash on that same stretch of highway. Nine vehicles in total were involved in the accident.
What Should You Do if You Are Involved in an Accident with a Commercial Truck?
If you are involved in a semi-truck wreck, you will want to follow several helpful steps including:
- Reporting the accident to the authorities
- Taking photos of the scene, vehicles involved, and injuries sustained
- Making sure to obtain the name, address, phone number, insurance, license plate number, and driver’s license of anyone involved
- Getting employer/trucking company contact information
- Collecting the names and contact information of anyone that witnessed the accident
- Seeking medical attention
- Contacting an experienced personal injury attorney
These steps can help you achieve the best possible legal outcome given the circumstances.
Who is Liable?
In an accident involving a commercial vehicle, determining who is liable for the accident is not always easy. The facts and circumstances surrounding each individual accident will help determine who is liable. Depending on how the accident occurred, these parties could be liable:
- The driver of the commercial vehicle
- The commercial transportation company
- Owner of the standard vehicle
Skilled legal representation from a car accident attorney could help in the process of determining liability.
What Information Should You Gather to Give to an Attorney?
After being involved in one of these collisions, there is documentation you can retain that will help your attorney build your claim for damages. These include:
- Medical files
- Any information on daily pain
- Documentation of missed work and lost wages
- Medical bills
- Any costs related to the accident
You will also need to obtain a copy of the police report.
Reach Out to An Attorney After an Accident involving a Semi-Truck
Motor vehicle collisions involving commercial trucks are complex. Contacting an experienced personal injury attorney to help navigate this difficult process is crucial.
If you or your loved one has been involved in an accident involving a commercial truck, contact the legal team here at Charles E. Boyk Law Offices so that we may assist you with your case.