A woman has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a nursing home that her father had just moved.
According the lawsuit, 80-year-old Michael Joseph had spent 2 days at Heron Terrace Long Term Care Community before he choked and was hospitalized. He passed away at the hospital. The nursing home mistakenly served Mr.
Joseph solid food rather than pureed even though they were notified that he was at a high risk of choking on solid food. Not only did he have dementia, which can cause swallowing problems, but he also had to stop wearing his dentures.
Joseph’s daughter, Lisa Joseph, is a trained social worker and she has stated that she is bound by a professional responsibility to ensure that a death like this one does not happen again.
She hopes that by filing this wrongful death lawsuit she will be able to get nursing homes to use wristbands to clearly communicate to the staff about patients.
If you have lost a loved one because of the negligence of a nursing home, call our Ohio nursing home negligence lawyers at 800.637.8170 to schedule a free consultation.