13 injured in bus crash Friday morning in Sylvania Township
13 individuals were hospitalized late Friday morning after a car collided with a transportation bus operated by Networking Equal Care Opportunities in Sylvania Township. The Toledo organization is “a Northwest and Southern Ohio company that assists those with developmental disabilities achieve independence, with dignity and a sense of life purpose, by providing Residential Support, Adult Day Services, Non-Medical Transportation and community-based care.” Early witness reports state that a car turned into the oncoming lane of traffic the bus was in. At this time there is believed to be no fatalities.
However, once someone’s been injured in an accident, the initial steps taken can make a big difference to the outcome of their case. Consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney can not only help guide you through a long-complicated journey, but also help you obtain fair compensation.
Below are tips to take after you’ve been injured in a bus accident, such as this recent example in Sylvania Township:
- The best thing to do is to get the proper medical treatment for the injuries sustained. Seek medical treatment immediately and follow your doctor’s orders. Returning to health should be your top priority.
- Don’t rush to settle your claim. Settling quickly may sound good until you realize that your injuries are more serious than you expected. A quick settlement with the insurance company may not allow you to be fully compensated for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. An experienced attorney can help guide you to an appropriate time to settle.
- Don’t provide a statement to the insurance adjuster. Don’t make any statements about the accident, your physical condition and whether your being treated by a doctor. Down-the-road negotiations may be hindered due to a previous statement that was misconstrued or twisted.
- Don’t sign medical authorizations at the request of an insurance company. This allows the insurance company to go on a fishing expedition for any past or present medical problems that might explain the current pain you are suffering.
- Document everything related to the accident! Keep every bill, police report, and document connected to your claim. This helps ensure you get compensated for all of your expenditures and losses.
- Hire an attorney! Insurance adjusters negotiate settlements every day; it’s their job and they’re good at it. Your lawyer will not only help you deal with your insurance adjuster but will help you navigate the complex world of personal injury litigation.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bus related accident like the one that has recently occurred in Sylvania Township, give our firm a call. Your consultation is free, and we’ll be able to guide you in the next steps to take to getting your life back on track.