Do you know the risks of riding different types of motorcycles? A study performed by the University of Southern California about motorcycle accidents has revealed some well-known truths but also a few little-known facts about the wrecks that have taken the lives of thousandsd of riders. Here are some of those facts:
- Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are under represented in accidents, most likely because of the contribution to conspicuity and the association with more experienced and trained riders.
- Motorcycle riders in these accidents were significantly without motorcycle license, without any license, or with license revoked.
- Motorcycle modifications such as those associated with the semi-chopper or cafe racer are definitely over represented in accidents.
- The likelihood of injury is extremely high in these motorcycle accidents-98% of the multiple vehicle collisions and 96% of the single vehicle accidents resulted in some kind of injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in more than a minor injury.
- Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, you need information. Contact our office toll free at 800.637.8170 to order your FREE copy of The Ohio Motorcycle Accident Book to learn your rights. Our motorcycle accident attorneys are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and we have six locations in northwest Ohio where we can meet with you – for free – to discuss your case.