When it comes to car accidents, there are several variations of injuries that can result, from minor scratches and bruises to permanent disability or fatality.
Due to the fact that there are varying degrees of car accidents, it can be confusing to know whether or not you have a legitimate car accident case. The two points below will help those involved in a car accident know whether or not they should pursue a claim.
What Makes a Car Accident Case?
- Negligence – to have a car accident case, there must have been negligence that occurred. Negligence occurs when an accident was due to the fault of another individual, which could be the result of carelessness. If you were in an accident and are wondering whether or not you should pursue an injury claim, the first thing to ask if the accident was caused by the other driver, or possible a defective roadway.
- Injuries – to pursue a car accident claim, the injuries that were sustained in the accident would be those that result in medical bills, ongoing therapy, a disturbance to the normal life, emotional trauma, psychological injuries and pain and suffering.
Do I call a Lawyer?
If you were in a car accident and the two above characteristics describe your accident and injuries, it is critical to contact a lawyer. Handling a car accident case on your own is not recommended.
There are several reasons why a lawyer is important to your case. They include the following:
- Experience – a lawyer has handled cases similar to yours and knows what steps to take, what documents to file, and what evidence must be obtained
- Resources – some accidents require lengthy research and sometimes accident reconstructionists, which a lawyer can obtain for your case
- Settlement process – a lawyer will have your best interest in mind and will not advise you to settle your case sooner than you should, or for less compensation than is deserved
Now that you know what the key characteristics of a car accident case are and how important it is to have a lawyer representing you, the next step is to find one that is local, experienced with cases like yours, and that you get along with personality-wise.
If you have further questions about car accident cases or would like to learn more about the legal process that is involved, call our office at 800.637.8170.